Saturday, February 2, 2013

More on Outlining...

The further I get into this project, the more I realize that it is WAY bigger then I originally thought. Outlining takes a lot of work and dedication. I realized that I was less prepared then I thought that I was. To push myself along, on top of the previous books I recommended I have also been taking tips from these two books.


This one is pretty intense and I didn't follow it as it is supposed to be followed. Obviously. Because I am terrible with directions. Still, it gave me a good push when I was feeling like I couldn't understand my characters and why they wanted what they did. It helped me ask myself some questions. This is another one that I suggest for your outlining process.

Because this is my first outline, in this way, I am doing a lot of different things to try to figure out what is going to be best for the way that I work. Your process will probably be completely different from mine.

After still not feeling like I had figured out all of the information that I needed, I turned to this book, which I had read quite a while ago but until I got desperate, I had completely forgotten about it. This one has given me the final extra push that I need to figure out motivations and story line. I really enjoy getting her updates for writing and have found her to be extremely motivational and helpful. I highly suggest this book as well.

Like I said, its more about figuring out what is going to work for you. I'm taking my time with the outline because I want to figure out exactly what is going to help me take this writing thing to the next level before the baby comes. Which is officially next month, by the way. Whew!

Anyway, I say all of this to say that it is February second and I am still not done with my outline. Its going to take me quite a bit longer. I'd still like to have this story told by the time the baby comes, but more then that I really want the bones in place. I want to finish this outline completely before I jump in to my story. I want to plot something that makes sense and that readers can understand and relate to and that it going to take me a little while longer.

The boy starts an outage on monday, twelve hour days, six days a week. The goal is to spend as much time as possible writing. I have a few things to finish up for baby. Some things to scrub and stuff like that. My baby shower is next sunday so I'll have some extra housework to get done this week, but all in all I intend to spend as much time as possible writing. I am going to make sure that I do NOT pick up that kindle until I have written at least my 2,000 words a day.

Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment