Saturday, February 23, 2013

I get by with a little help from my friends..

This is a post about help. I don't normally accept help very well, and there are two reasons behind that. One: I feel awkward asking. I don't ever want to put someone else out so I would rather just do whatever it is myself then to have to ask someone to help me get it done.
And Two: I am a control freak. I will admit it. I like to do things myself because then I know they are done the way that I want them done.





So when my husband tries to help me with things around the house, I usually tell him, "Oh, don't worry about it. Go put your feet up, I've got it." Especially now that I stay at home all of the time. I have routines that I like to get done and i like them to be done a certain way.

Being a control freak about housework isn't very helpful when you have a dream or goal that you are trying to accomplish. When my husband says that he wants to help me, its because he knows how important it is for me to write. He knows how guilty I feel when I don't get to it, and he also knows that if there are other things that I should be doing around the house, my writing is the first thing to get tossed to the wayside.

This last week he gave me the day off, told me to make him a list of the the things that I like to get done on Monday's and let him do it. Can I tell you that although the gesture was so sweet and I love him so much for it, the truth is, it was the hardest thing for me to do. He did a terrific job. Especially for not doing those things every week like I do. I had to remind myself that he was doing it because he loves me and to keep my mouth shut when I noticed that he didn't vacuum the rug and chair in the living room.

I just left it that way, until it was on my list to vacuum again. It was hard, but I really learned to let go this week. I learned that things do not have to be perfect. That sometimes, you cant do everything yourself, sometimes you need help. And that's ok. Its good actually, to let the people in your life know that you need them and that you appreciate their efforts.

And I am so appreciative of the efforts that my husband shows on a daily basis. His love and encouragement mean the world to me. I hope that one day I can love the way that he does.

For those interested in my 'Daily Chore List' here it is. Unfortunately, blogger wouldn't let me upload it for some reason so you'll have to jump over to my Twitter account to view it.

In the words of the Avett Brothers "Decide what to be and go be it." Don't let anything or anyone hold you back from doing your dreams. Stop making excuses. Stop being such a control freak, and let people help you achieve what you were made to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment