Thursday, December 22, 2011

Tis' the season to be jolly?

Christmas is annoying. Growing up in a Christian home, I know that there is more then just gifts to celebrate, but its still a frustrating and stressful time of year. Even more-so when you have family drama to contend with, but thats not something I'm ready to talk about, especially here. I just want to complain for a hot second, and make you listen, or, uh, read.

Anyway, I've been doing a lot of writing lately, if not for bettering my muse, then simply to take my mind off of things, and it has been helpful. I have really zeroed in and gotten things done. Which is huge for me.

I kind of decided to take a step back from my W.I.P. for now until after Christmas. I need a breather. Its getting difficult for me to write, and I know that when it gets to the point where its not fun to write anymore, no one is going to have fun reading it. So I am taking a break and reevaluating where I am headed with it.

In the meantime though, I have been working on a few non-fiction pieces. A friend of mine gave me the idea, that if I want to truly get serious I should try sending some non-fiction pieces off to magazines because not only would I get experience in writing, and writing tightly and precisely, but there is a good chance I could get paid for it as well. So, win, win!

She recommended this book to me and I have to say that it has given me so many ideas. I realized that I have the potential to write so many things, so many life experiences that could fit perfectly into the pages of said magazines.

As well as doing research for that little project, I have sent a resume and writing sample to Demand Studios and lets talk about how nerve wracking that was. I have never had someone read my work for publication, much less a complete stranger. Bah. And the resume? I was selling myself left and right because I don't have any real work experience in writing I had to focus on other things that I do have experience in that could maybe help me with that job. Although it was scary, I can only learn from this experience, and get better, right?

Anyway, I just thought that I would write a quick blog to those three of you who actually stop by and read it. Merry Christmas. Hope yours will be better then mine :)


"Do one thing every day that scares you." -- Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment