Thursday, December 15, 2011

Politics....

Today I felt that a blog about not writing but war was appropriate, so bare with me on this one.

I don't really ever get involved in politics. My dad always told me that as an American I should use my rights and take politics seriously, try to change things that are un-American. My dad is a republican. I am not. I do not follow politics at all, to the complete disappointment of my dad and my fiancee. They make me nervous and frustrated.

I can say though that I live by morals. Mostly. Sometimes my morals get cloudy, and sometimes I don't care about them. But I can tell you that I do not like violence. I think that no matter what its uncalled for. Self protection is the only exception, but you wouldn't need it if everyone followed the no violence policy. Therefor, while I am appreciative that other people are willing to fight for our freedom, for our rights, for my right to speak my mind, I am anti war.

I try to remember that if I were an Iraqi and my country was being run the way theirs was, I would desperately want someone to step in and take care of it, but the other part of my mind asks, is it any of our business? If thats the way it has been run for years, and thats how they are used to being treated, then how is it our responsibility to step in and change it? In a way I suppose that its kind of like the abusive lover that you continue to return to. Well, maybe not, but thats the best I can come up with right now. Don't get me wrong, I am all about everyone being treated equally and like civilized humans. I do not under any circumstances believe that anyone should be ruled over and treated the way that some people get treated. I am just having a hard time seeing how killing a bunch of people solves that. Its like teaching your child not to hit by hitting/spanking them. Where is the logic in that?

I just don't know that it was our job to send all of our boys into very dangerous situations that had nothing to do with us. I have been blessed in that I know no one personally who died in this terrible war. But just think if you were the mother, or wife, or daughter of someone who died. They say that they died defending our country, but they didn't. They died defending someone else's country. Someone else's rights.

And, like I said, I don't really follow politics at all, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass, and if I am then don't read anymore of this post, but what does that have to do with us?

We got the man that reeked havoc on America. Why should the families of the men in the service continue to have to worry about their loved one's when their job should have been done?

War frustrates me. When I think of it, I think of little boys on the playground throwing rocks at each other for fun because one said or did something to offend the other. Its childish and unnecessary.

So I'm glad that as of today, its mostly over.

One more thing that got me thinking, and then I promise that I will be done with this, and we can go back to having fun: My fiancee closely follows politics. He is very knowledgeable on all things politics. He has very set in stone thinking and morals, and I appreciate that about him, although I don't follow it at all myself.
He said something to me the other day that really got me thinking about rights of everyone, not just Americans.
He said: What if we offended the Chinese, so to "monitor" things and keep their people safe, they stuck bases all around American soil. They reeked havoc whenever they felt necessary, and we had to live in fear in turmoil because of it, disrupting how we are used to living? It would never fly. So why is it that America gets to have bases all around the world to "monitor" things and keep us safe? Why do people in other countries have to live like that? I do not believe that we are any safer in America by their pro-cautions.

But maybe thats just me.


One is left with the horrible feeling now that war settles nothing; that to win a war is as disastrous as to lose one.

[info][add][mail]
Agatha Christie (1890 - 1976), Autobiography (1977)

No comments:

Post a Comment