Thursday, March 7, 2013

Communities.

Something that has been on my mind is community. Building a writing community to be more specific. A group of people who help each other, limping along toward the finish line. I have been working really hard in getting myself out there. Not that I need to be famous or even think that my writing is good enough to be noted. I'm just trying to surround myself with like minded people who I can help, and who can give me a helping hand when needed to achieve this goal.


Writing is a very solitary profession. You do it alone, on your own time, usually with just music or animals to keep you company. Sometimes I like to go to the coffee shop and sit, just to get out of my house. To give myself the illusion of being around people. Even though when I do that I usually end up so distracted by the people around me that I don't get anything done, or I end up with headphones in my ears anyway. Still, sometimes you just need that push, that change of scenery to get through your next thousand words.

I have started using Twitter as a kind of networking tool. I love to follow others writers and hear all about their struggles. That way I don't feel so dumb for my own. We all deal with the same things, whether we have been writing for many many years or are just finishing our first manuscript. It can be very discouraging to feel that you aren't cut out to do the thing that you love most. Its frustrating when you think that it comes so easy for others, but you just don't have what it takes.

Let me tell you, that's not true. If you love it, if its important to you, if you are passionate about it, then you need to do it. No one can tell the story quite like you can. You may have the same ideas as someone else, but no one can do it the way that you will. The world needs to hear what you have to say.

I have also joined a group that seems like it could be very beneficial for when I am working toward publication. I still have a while before I am ready, but when I do I am hoping to have made friends with people who love the kinds of stories that I love to tell. BookBlogs.Ning is what its called and linked there is my profile.

Anyway, the reason I even said any of this, and included these links is because I want to know you. I think its so important to surround yourself with like minded people. Its the only way we will succeed in this business, and sometimes, you just need someone to believe in you when you forget too.

If you leave a comment with your username at the end of this blog I will make sure to follow you back on twitter. Lets do this thing. Lets support each other. Lets encourage each other. Lets get serious about our dreams because they are important.

Well guys, I've got a lunch date with the hubs then I'm off to see the doctor. Hopefully this little girl will be here soon! We are getting excited to meet her and my body is getting excited to evacuate her!

Have a great day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment