Monday, January 23, 2012

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo = Wow.


So sometimes my fiance and I decide to get all cute and lovey and go off to the bookstore -because there is only one teeny tiny bookstore in our town and we try to support it as much as possible, even though I am absolutely in love with my Kindle- and pick a book to read aloud to each other. The process is a tough one because we each have completely different views on good books. I cant help that I adore a good love story or something with girl power, and he cant help that he loves mind game books, or Syfi. So the process includes a bunch of pro's and con's, likes and dislikes, and a little of both worlds. One of these days I will win and he will read The Time Traveler's Wife, but until that day we compromise.

This past time we decided to be cute, we went down to Book Mouse, and selected The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. We both wanted to see the movie, and come on, the book is a best seller, we decided that we couldn't go wrong.

I have to admit that the beginning was boring. I couldn't care, or pay attention. It was a lot of background, and a lot of me asking Zach, "So, recap what just happened, I forgot to listen." And he would smile and patiently tell me what the hell Stieg was trying to say.

But then all of a sudden, I was SO into it. I couldn't stop reading. Which was annoying, because as the rules of reading out loud to your significant other clearly states, both parties have to be present to read. Bah. Zach works a swing shift so sometimes that was quite hard.

The dialogue was kind of annoying sometimes, but that could have to do with how the novel translated into english, as well as all of the Swedish names and places. By the end we were making up our own, or just simply saying, some place I cant pronounce. We never did learn how to say the main characters last name, and renamed him Karl.

But all in all it was a very well written book. Very realistic, and thoroughly thought through. I really enjoyed it, and to day before my boy leaves for work we are taking a trip to get the second book in the series!!

Happy reading!


“Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.”

No comments:

Post a Comment