Sunday, April 15, 2012

Calling Down Lightning!

Funny, this is what I learned about this week, and what I have been working on all week, and currently we are in the middle of a giant thunderstorm! Clever.

Z and I walking in to get our
Marriage License!
This week I have been a little busy beaver so I am sure you will forgive me for not blogging at all. As you already know I am getting married on friday so there is much to be done with that. But along with that I have started a new novel. I am really excited about it. I have been toying with the idea for quite some time now. As in I started my first draft a few years ago but it never clicked. Now I am doing the work. Researching my characters. Writing out character sheets. Writing down questions. Calmly and patiently waiting for my Muse to answer them. Or not. He isn't cooperating very well. He has been kind of a douche lately but I am trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.

My little binder with questions
and a graph!
I like the idea of calling down lightning. It gets you in tune with your muse. Includes him, which is the whole point. You have to get to the point where you realize that you need him. Writing isn't just about you and what you know. Writers know that. Its also about all of the outside sources that affect you and how you work and how your brain works. Its about the world around you and how your Muse subconsciously stores all of this random shit and if you include him in your projects you will get a lot more done because he will throw ideas your way that you didn't even realize you had as an idea somewhere in that head of yours.

Try it. Ask questions. Become your Muse's best friend. And you will be productive. Its definitely helped me. Without sounding all out there, you should know that he will only answer when he is ready. But its worth it to wait!

Happy writing!

But I can only write what the muse allows me to write. I cannot choose, I can only do what I am given, and I feel pleased when I feel close to concrete poetry - still.
Ian Hamilton Finlay

No comments:

Post a Comment